Looking for the perfect splash of spring to add to your wardrobe? Or maybe a unique Grad or Mother’s Day gift? All of my handmade jewelry is currently being sold via the Etsy shop.
It’s time for you pull all of those sweaters out of the closet – it’s full on Fall. (Or at least it is here in Brooklyn.) Need some cute accessories to go with all of those cozy colors? You’re in luck. I just posted 6 fall-inspired pieces in the shop. And there seriously are only 6. I’m not going to make any more of these (at least not until Summer 2016). To sweeten the pot you get free shipping through October 31, 2015 (yay, Halloween!).
I really need to go shopping for new clothes, nothing fits. Or at least that’s my excuse for not being able to pull myself off the computer and away from the Modcloth website – I can’t help myself! It’s all too cute. Here are some of of the tops I found, paired with some of the new fall pieces in my shop:
What are you wearing this fall? Feel free to leave a comment or post on myFacebook page.
And don’t forget to signup for my VIP Fan Club – we’re doing giveaways from now till the end of the year that are only available to those on the list.
GIVE SUMMER THE LAST HURRAH IT DESERVES!
• Earrings (La Sirena Design-that’s me!)
• Paletas: Authentic Recipes for Mexican Ice Pops, Shaved Ice & Aguas Frescas (This is pretty much my summer bible right here.)
• Paderno Sprializer (If you have a garden like my mom’s and it’s yielding a million pounds of extra zucchini, cucumbers, sweet potatoes or if you just feel like it’s too hot to cook then you NEED to try this thing. Zucchini and sweet potato noodles are my new favorite.)
And just to make you jealous, here’s a pic of the view from my parents’ back porch hammock:
And one from my hardworking mama’s garden:
Do you have any end-of-summer/Labor Day weekend traditions or recipes? I’d love to hear about them in the comments below.
It’s freaking hot here in the PacNW… but not as hot as Brooklyn, so I’m not going to complain too much. Instead I’m gonna make this quick before I pack up and head to the beach and Astoria, OR with the fam.
Here’s a little Summer Concert Style Roundup:
Hawthorn Dress by Colette Patterns I swear, when I have more space I am going to set up my sewing machine again and start making everything that Colette Patterns offers. I love pretty much everything they do.
iPhone Case If I had an extra $130 I would go buy this right now. Especially since I use my iphone more like a camera than an actual phone. It includes 4 interchangeable lenses: wide angle, 2x telephoto, 180-degree fisheye and macro (with polarized lenses).
Earring and Necklace set from La Sirena (that’s me!)
You never know when inspiration will hit. And when, or if, you actually act on that inspiration is a whole other story.
Quite a while ago I was walking through Atlantic terminal, on my way to a freelance gig in Manhattan. I let my mind wander as I shuffled along with the herd. I was thinking about my jewelry designs, how I wanted to get them more out into the world, how I needed to buckle down and do some marketing, how I needed to be more consistent with social media, how I needed to have a better online presence… and my mind flooded with all the to-dos I needed to accomplish to make that happen. Which then turned into me thinking of how I really didn’t want to spend MORE time at the computer and wouldn’t it be great if there was a way to have a more direct, authentic, in-person communication thing happen – like how it is when I do a craft show, but damn those are expensive in NY… then BAM! I see this girl. She’s a walking, living, breathing reflection of what my brand would look like if it was a real person. She is the type of person I create for. One of my pieces would look amazing on her.
“She is perfect,” I thought.
“If only I could have her model for me.”
and then I thought, “maybe I CAN have her model for me.”
And that is how my Beautiful in Brooklyn idea started.
Now, for the past month or so, I take some time to walk around different neighborhoods and ask strangers to do mini pop-up photo shoots with me.
At first it was hard and I was super freaked out about approaching people even though I had practiced with my sister. Yes, I practiced. I consider myself an introvert so this is definitely pushing me out of my comfort zone. It’s kind of hard, and it can be frustrating when I’m walking around and don’t see anyone. Like when you know exactly what you’re shopping for but can’t find it. But it’s fun and I’m learning so much – including that I’m way more of an extrovert than I thought. I love meeting people and taking their photos. They make the jewelry pieces come alive.
Want to join in?
I post the pics on Instagram and the model with the most likes on her pic by end of day on June 13, 2015 wins a $50 gift card. I have 4 models so far. Hoping to get at least 3 more this week. Vote now or later or follow me onInstagram (it really is my favorite social media platform – if I had to choose only one to use this would be it.)
Side note: When I was in middle and high school I was very into photography. I remember thinking that I could make anyone look and feel beautiful with my photography and would day dream about what a fun project it would be. It’s kind of amazing that I get to do two daydreams at once – especially since one of them is from soooooooo long ago.
1) Sheer Thigh Highs with Lace Stay-Up Top from my favorite sock shop, Sock Dreams
3) Have a little pre-funk or night cap with whiskey from one of the best distillery names ever, Fremont Mischief Whiskey
4) Super-cute dress from Pinup Girl Clothing
How to have a stress-free, but fun Valentine’s Day at home with your sweetheart or friend (hey, don’t judge, some of my favorite V-Days have been with friends!):
1) Earrings (mine, of course) – the best part about these is that they can dress up or down.
2) Clothes – your favorite jeans (you know, the ones that hug your curves just right) and shirt
4) This awesome Breaking Bad Inspired apron
5) Cooking together is super romantico in my book. Here are some drool-worthy vegetarian enchilada recipes from the Garden Grazer.
6) Or skip cooking all together and go straight for the chocolate. And you know what’s better than chocolate? Chocolate with beer. Theo has an awesome beer and chocolate pairing kit. Or combine the two with achocolate beer! Yes. Chocolate beer. The world doesn’t seem so bad now.
7) Julie Ann Art has the most hilarious Valentine’s Day cards ever. I had a hard time choosing my favorite.
8) And of course…. DON’T FORGET THE MUSIC!
Do you love getting dressed up and going out for Valentine’s Day or do you prefer a more casual night in?
This gorgeous green is being cured as I type. It’s one of four new pendant colors I’m whipping up for August/September.
Want some color in your life? Check out my Etsy shop for handmade jewelry.